Women’s Volleyball | February 25, 2021
PHILADELPHIA – Volleyball wraps up its road trip when it travels to George Mason on Friday for a 4:30 p.m. game. The Explorers are coming off consecutive wins at George Washington to begin its season 2-0 for the first time since 2016.
A highlight of the opening stanza of the campaign was freshman libero Isa Lopez and her defensive displays. The rookie was tabbed as A-10 Defensive Player of the Week with a league-leading 6.5 digs per set, good for fourth in the nation.
ABOUT THE EXPLORERS
- Lopez isn’t the only Explorer in national statistic contention. Junior Elizabeth Osborn is off to a flying start and her 5.25 kills per set is second in the nation. She is third in the NCAA in attacks per set with 13.12.
- Senior Samantha Graver notched a double double in her first game and has been deadly on the serve. Her 0.75 aces per set leads the conference and ranks ninth in the country.
- In fact, the Blue & Gold currently owns the top four spots in aces per set. Graver is followed by redshirt sophomore Sarah Nahas, Osborn, and sophomore Sydney Stone.
- Nahas has had an impressive start in her first sustained look at collegiate action. Her 11.50 assists per set tops the A-10 and ranks 10th in the NCAA.
- As a team, the Explorers lead the league in aces per set, assists per set, and kills per set. They are second in digs per set, third in opponent hitting percentage and fourth in hitting percentage.
SCOUTING THE PATRIOTS
- George Mason has started its season 3-6, but hold a 3-2 mark in conference play. Its wins come against George Washington and once against Rhode Island.
- The Patriots have a capable floor general in junior setter Erin Derick who ranks second in the A-10 in assists (290).
- Junior libero Marlanna Bozicevich keeps plays alive for George Mason; her total digs, 119, rank second in the conference.
- As a team, George Mason leads the A-10 in digs and attacks.