These two shuttlers were forced to withdraw along with defending champion Lakshya from the SaarLorLux Open late on Wednesday. However, Subhankar and Ajay have written to the organisers of the Super-100 tournament, questioning the logic behind withdrawing them from the tournament and placing them under isolation.
“For no fault of ours, we are being penalised. The organisers did not implement the norms properly and now we have to suffer,” Subhankar told TOI from Saarbrucken.
The duo has written to the organisers narrating the sequence of events.
“Prior to the tournament in Saarbrucken, we were informed that a Covid test had to be taken up to 48 hours prior to arrival in Frankfurt. I and Ajay took the test and returned negative. However, upon arrival, there was no enforcement of the submission of the test. We were allowed to practice in the main hall and move around freely. However, Lakshya and his father got tested only on Tuesday,” said Subhankar, adding that the organisers did not bother to check their Covid reports.
“There was no one to check the Covid-19 test reports. So everyone including, Lakshya and his father had been inside the hall with other players for practice on Monday. We happened to have one meal in the same restaurant post the practice session. I and Ajay are not staying in the hotel where Lakshya and his father are staying. How can they isolate us,” questioned Subhankar.
“Now they are asking us to stay for seven more days. We want the BWF or organisers to take care of us. It’s not our fault. Due to their failure of not enforcing the rules, we are suffering. They have to compensate us. We also requested for a second test for DK Sen,” Subhankar said.