Indonesian badminton legend Rudy Hartono suffers stroke

0
24


EIGHT-TIME All England badminton champion Rudy Hartono is reported to have suffered a stroke earlier on Saturday (Sept 26), reported GoSports.com.my.

The 71-year-old Indonesian living legend is said to be receiving treatment at the Siloam Hospital in Pondok Indah.

Hartono won the first of his All-England championships title as an 18-year-old defeating Tan Aik Huang in 1968. He was also part of the great Indonesian Thomas Cup teams in 1967, 1970, 1973, 1976, 1979 and 1982. He was also the world champion in 1980.

Born as Nio Hap Liang, he is better known as Rudy to the badminton world.

Rudy became involved with the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI), holding different positions such as Chairman of Development Affairs until 2006. He is currently a member of PBSI’s Board of Honour.

He was also part of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) council from 1985-1986, and later from 1994 to 2009.

No details of his condition is available at this point of time.

Rudy, whose on court rivalry turned into an off court friendship with Malaysia’s Datuk Punch Gunalan, gave up even golf after coming down with a heart ailment many years ago.

It is learnt that he collapsed while taking a walk earlier in the morning.

Meanwhile, Antara reported that Ruday’s sister-in-law Imelda Wiguna informed the media in Indonesia that the badminton legend is now in stable condition.

She said on Saturday (Sept 26) that he is feeling much better and had underwent a MRI and CT Scan check-up on the day.

“He is much better now. The whole family all badminton fans in Indonesia and the world for caring so much for Rudy,” Imelda said.





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here