TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama volleyball offense had one of its top performances of the season Saturday afternoon against Mississippi State, earning the 3-1 win to take the weekend series against the Bulldogs.
Alabama (6-10) hit a season-best .336 as a team and held the edge over Mississippi State (4-10) in every statistical category. The Crimson Tide started the match with a pair of decisive wins, 25-16 and 25-18, to take a 2-0 match lead. The Bulldogs took their first lead at 12-11 in the third set and held on to win the frame, 25-19, and avoid the sweep. The teams traded back and forth in the fourth until, down 13-11, Alabama scored five unanswered to pull ahead 16-13 and never trailed from that point on, winning 25-21 to take the match.
After earning a season-high 20 kills yesterday, Abby Marjama improved on it Saturday with a team-leading 24, hitting .444 with just four errors on 45 swings. She added 10 digs for a double-double, joined by Riley Fisbeck who finished with 23 assists and 12 digs. Fisbeck and Marjama were two of three players to finish with double-digit digs, while Madelyn St. Germain led the team with 15.
FROM HEAD COACH LINDSEY DEVINE
“It was great that we were able to get our two wins this weekend. It shows really positive growth for the team. To be at home and in front of our home crowd, a lot of pride goes into earning these two wins. At moments we were down but there was always a fight in them. That’s something we’ve focused on in practice. We can’t let our opponents control our emotion and we have to continue to grab momentum when we are in position to do so.”
SCORES BY SET
- 1st | Alabama 25, Mississippi State 16
- 2nd | Alabama 25, Mississippi State 18
- 3rd | Mississippi State 25, Alabama 19
- 4th | Alabama 25, Mississippi State 21
- Alabama’s .336 hitting percentage is its highest all season, beating the previous best of .310 in the Nov. 15 win against LSU, both of which came at home
- The win improves Alabama’s active win streak to seven matches against Mississippi State and an all-time record of 52-17 against the Bulldogs
- The Tide has won four of its last six matches, taking a pair of wins at Ole Miss and the two at home against Mississippi State
- Alabama at Texas A&M – College Station, Texas – Reed Arena
- Friday, March 5 – 6 p.m. CT
- Saturday, March 6 – 6 p.m. CT
For the latest information on the team, follow @AlabamaVBall on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Volleyball on Facebook. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.